Friday, July 29, 2011

The Art of Philanthropic Footwear



What do you get when you combine a visionary philanthropist, an "artsy/hipster" aesthetic and shoes? The correct answer would be TOM'S Shoes, a company that matches every pair of shoes purchased with a pair of new shoes given to a child in need. Most people have so many pairs of shoes in their closets that they have to stack, shove and pile them in. I take so many things for granted and when I'm being mindful of all of the things I take for granted, I don't even think about not having a pair of shoes on my feet. I can't imagine going a day without shoes, can you? 


Well, in 2006, my future husband who doesn't know me or that we will one day be married, Blake Mycoskie, was traveling in Argentina and was moved by how many children didn't have shoes (How sexy is that, a sensitive man...sigh). Many children in developing countries can not afford shoes and are at risk for injury, infection and soil-borne diseases. Moreover, many schools require children to wear shoes and the ones who can not afford them don't go to school and receive an education.


photo courtesy of Toms blog. Shoe drop in Argentina.
TOMS not only supplies shoes to children in need, they also raise awareness with campaigns like One Day Without Shoes and the One For One Movement. I love this quote by my future husband, Blake Mycoskie, "Giving is what fuels us. Giving is our future."


photo courtesy of giving partner operation blessing
I just purchased one of the newest TOMS styles, a cool crochet pattern. They go with everything and are so comfortable, they form to the shape of your foot! I just wore mine to a gallery event last night. Little black dress plus TOMS= dynamite. Take a look at the TOMS webpage, "How We Wear Them," to get some great outfit ideas (If you're looking for the perfect shoe to complement your wedding gown, look no further 'cause TOMS has your back). You can dress them up or down and the more pairs you have, the more pairs underprivileged children around the world have! TOMS boasts many cool new styles- their design team is super talented and creative. 
The silver women's glitters may be my next TOMS purchase.
OR, a pair of tiny TOMS for my future hipster baby.

I love when art, creativity and doing good all come together to form a badass concept like TOMS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment